Tuesday 18 August 2009

Anticipating "The Incident"

I'm very excited about the forthcoming new release from neo-prog greats Porcupine Tree, featuring as it does the title track as a single 55-minute epic!

However, in the email advertising the limited-edition boxed set, guitarist/vocalist and main man Steven Wilson described digital-only music (including versions on CD) as "functional, disposable shit", coming perilously close to a Gerald Ratner moment, I reckon.

Now, maybe he was making a controversial point to attract attention on behalf of his record company, but I have paid good money to put his music on my iPod and I certainly don't consider that any less valid than the $106.99 box set he's trying to flog at the moment. Far from it, as I'm unlikely to lug around with me a large box full of books and fancy German artwork, just because Steven thinks it's cool.

Well, thanks but no thanks, Steven; I don't have $107 to spend on art, especially when it's so calculated as a money-making premise as to strip it of any of its artistic integrity. Instead I'll wait until I can download the shit version from iTunes instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment