Friday 7 August 2009

Making Firefox 3 and iPlayer talk nicely

Ever since getting the latest version of Firefox - currently 3.5.2 - I've not been able to download TV programmes from the otherwise fantastic BBC iPlayer for use on my Creative Zen media player (2Mb Flash version - thanks, Steve!).

The right-click Save option just keeps asking me to upgrade my version of Windows Media Palaver, only I already have the latest version. I don't like, or trust, Internet Exploder, and even tried Ace Explorer, which is IE-based, but that wouldn't work for this either. Grrrr!

So, I talked to John on the iPlayer message board - at least, I think I did; he/it is probably and automated computer script, for all I know - and one of his suggestions was to install an add-on called "I.E.Tab", which I did and I can tell you it works! I don't know how, but it does.

Once installed, you get the option in the right-click menu to select "Open in I.E. Tab" on a link and it opens IE in a new Firefox tab and then you can use THAT version of the link as usual. As a meerkat might say, "simples".

Anyway, thought I'd share this info in case anyone Googles it and finds themselves here; you never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment